There are two types of blood test services in Petersfield for Swan Surgery patients:
– GP Practice generated blood tests are at Swan Surgery. This is a pre-booked appointment only service.
– For Hospital generated blood tests the service is provided for those over 16 years of age at Petersfield Hospital on Mondays and Tuesdays mornings (this is a pre-booked appointment only service).
Please do not forget your blood test forms.
Blood Tests Explained
A blood test is when a sample of blood is taken for testing in a laboratory. Blood tests have a wide range of uses and are one of the most common types of medical test. For example, a blood test can be used to:
- assess your general state of health
- confirm the presence of a bacterial or viral infection
- see how well certain organs, such as the liver and kidneys, are functioning
A blood test usually involves the phlebotomist taking a blood sample from a blood vessel in your arm. and the usual place for a sample is the inside of the elbow or wrist, where the veins are relatively close to the surface. Blood samples from children are most commonly taken from the back of the hand. The child’s hand will be anaesthetised (numbed) with a special cream before the sample is taken.
You can find out more about blood tests, their purpose and the way they are performed on the NHS Choices website here.